Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Whhhaaaattttt!

When I came over here I did not know much about foreign television. I really don't know what I was expecting when I arrived but I don't really think what I thought and what I got  were the same. Of course all of the channels that we get on our satellite are in German, not surprising at all. However what did surprise me was that there just was a lack of selection. Not a knock on German culture, just means they probably watch less TV than Amis do. The reason that they have less of a selection is because, like most countries, they don't have something we like to call Hollywood. There just isn't a comparison to in the rest of the world. There are so many things being produced and put out from Hollywood that we almost take it as normal around the world. In fact, as I have said before, most of the sitcoms or dramas or movies that come out over here, are those that have already played in the States. Things are dubbed over, and bits and pieces are changed here and there, then they air over here. This production value is also especially true for sports. As you may know, I love sports and competition. Gunnar and I constantly have sportscenter on the TV. There is nothing like ESPN in Germany. We've only found two or three channels, and they really don't compare!

Which brings me to the point of this post...well two: There just isn't as much material on TV over here as there is in the States..... We have been watching the first full Season of Psych!!



 Luckily, my roommates all have found some sort of enjoyment in watching one of my favorite shows of all time. And double luckily, it just happens to be the only DVDs that I brought over from the States, three seasons in fact. If you do not watch or follow Psych here is my own quick synopsis of the show:

Shawn (on the right) is hyper-observent. He notices things that others don't. This added to the fact that his father has trained him, despite his best efforts, to become a detective, give him the ability to figure things out that others cannot. Therefore he acts like he is a psychic-detective. His partner in crime (pun intended?) Gus (left), helps him to solve the cases that they receive from the Santa Barbara Police, drive him around, keep him out of trouble, and resists Shawn's crazy antics. The witty humor throughout the show makes it for me. They are ridiculously funny as a pair, with sarcasm to the max. There is also Shawn's love interest throughout the seasons, Juliet, and the stiff, hardcore lead detective Carlton Lassiter.

I would recommend the show for everyone! It really is quality!

T.H.I.N.K about it:

5. They don't have school or college sports in Germany. Almost all sports are done through clubs. For example the Unicorns are affiliated with the TSG club in Schwäbisch Hall. These clubs start sports very young. There are youth teams, junior teams, and of course pro teams. The Unicorns even have a flag football team that competes that is coached by Unicorn players!

2 comments: